Intermediate SUP Skills
Take your skills to the next level learning to paddle further with less effort. Learn the pivot turn, how to walk on your board and much more.
Take your skills to the next level with intermediate sup techniques such as the pivot/buoy turns, paddling in wind, over boat wakes and walking on the board.
- Pre and post paddle stretches and warm-ups by fitness trainer and paddler Joe McColskey.
- Learn how to prone paddle for up-wind conditions, cross training and if you lose your paddle.
- Paddle efficiently and straight when sitting down and kneeling. Also essential skills for up-wind and rough water paddling.
- How to safely fall and get back on in any conditions.
- Get stability skills with bracing and momentum.
- Learn the pivot turn. Also called the kick back or buoy turn.
- Learn directional control - how to go sideways, backwards and stopping.
- More directional control with sweep turns. Learn to use minimal effort while turning.
- Learn powerful and low energy forward stroke for maximum speed and less injuries.
- Learn how to paddle straight which saves energy and will help you catch more waves and pass others in races.
- Learn why you don't need to turn in to a boat wake.
Bonus Material -
Save a life with the Flip Rescue and Towing! Learn these essential water safety skills!
Receive essential Downloads and Resources to help you plan trips, never forgot gear using check-lists and weather and wind apps.
Non-athletic, dyslexic and lacking good instruction, like many, I struggled to stand up for the first time on a paddle board while vacation in Hawaii. Not willing to give up, I continued to work on it at home in Seattle. Applying skills learned from a decade in sea, whitewater and surf kayaking, I discovered effective methods for teaching SUP.
I'm the author of guidebooks "Stand Up Paddling Flat Water to Surf and Rivers" and "Kayaking Puget Sound and the San Juans." I also the co-founder of the Professional Stand Up Paddle Association (PSUPA) which provides worldwide SUP instructor training and certification.
I've also contributed articles and photos to Stand Up Journal, SUP Magazine, the Inertia and others.
I own Seattle based Salmon Bay Paddle which offers individual and small group SUP instruction in Seattle and the surrounding region.
SUP has changed my life and I love to share my passion with others helping them save time by avoiding my mistakes along the way!
-- Rob Casey
StartPre-Paddle and Post Paddle Stretches & Warm-Ups (5:28)
StartProne, Sitting and Kneeling for Wind Paddling (7:12)
StartHow to Safely Fall & Get Back on in any Conditions (4:28)
StartDirectional Control - How to go Sideways, Backwards and Stop (3:01)
StartDirectional Control using Sweep Turns. Use Less Effort to Turn (2:11)
StartThe Forward Stroke and How to Paddle Straight. (12:21)
StartGet More Stability with Braces and Learn the Pivot Turn, also called the Kick Back or Buoy Turn (5:04)
StartPaddling Over Boat Wakes and Small Waves (4:15)
StartFootwork - Get More Control by Learning to Walk on your Board (2:23)
Frequently Asked Questions
Thank-you for watching this course! Hopefully it was helpful to you. Feel free to send me feedback for improving the course. I'm also available for in-person instruction should you find yourself in the Pacific Northwest. Rob Casey