Stand Up Paddling 101
Step by step directions for standing up easily, falling safely, remounting your board and SUP equipment basics.
Stand Up Paddling is an exciting and rapidly expanding sport and past-time.
Around the world, the popularity of Stand Up Paddling is exploding... and with it tremendous opportunities.
Whether you want to pleasure-paddle on flat water, or take on a new challenge, there are essential skills and knowledge to have fun and stay safe. And knowing the right gear for your needs can mean the difference between a terrible experience and a great one.
Get started right and save time trying to figure it out.
Even if you've struggled paddling before or think you just don't have good balance, anyone can learn the basic skills needed to have fun, stay safe, and paddle efficiently and easily.
Learn which board to buy, what to wear when paddling, balance tips, how to paddle straight and much more!
In this course you'll learn how to stand up easily, fall safely and remount your board easily plus many other essential beginning skills.
Unlike many quick start courses that set you up to fail, this course gives a true foundation so you can go out on the water with confidence.
Core Skills You're Learn:
- Alternatives to standing up - Prone, sitting and kneeling
- Step by step instructions for standing up on your board
- Easy warm-ups for paddling and injury prevention
- Falling is normal! Learn to fall safely
- How to climb back on your board easily no matter your body type or board type.
- Life jacket types - Vest style and waist C02s.
- How to attach a leash and which to use
- How to install a fin, and different fin types
- Basic Inflatable SUP inflation and deflation technique
- Learn about different types of boards and board anatomy
- Paddling clothing for different types of water and conditions
- What to look for in purchasing a board and which board is right for you
- How to paddle straight
- Balance tips
- How to launch from a dock
- Different types of turns and how to turn easily
- How to carry your board and car-top it
- Board security and ding repair
You won't find this much beginning SUP content in one place anywhere on YouTube.
Make your first Stand Up Paddling experience a good one! And get the foundational skills needed to paddle on your own.
Non-athletic, dyslexic and lacking good instruction, like many, I struggled to stand on a SUP the first time in 2007 on vacation in Hawaii.
Not willing to give up, I continued to work on it at home in Seattle. Applying skills learned from over a decade of sea, surf and whitewater kayaking, I discovered easy and effective methods for standing up and paddling with confidence.
In 2011, I wrote Stand Up Paddling Flat Water to Surf and Rivers for Mountaineers Books. This guidebook was intended to help new and experienced paddlers learn all aspects of SUP from the basics to open water touring. In 2012, I revised the 3rd edition of the NW classic paddling guide, Kayaking Puget Sound and the San Juan Islands, 60 Trips.
I started Salmon Bay Paddle in 2010 to provide personable expert SUP instruction in the Pacific Northwest. I’ve transformed lives by empowering and giving confidence to many who didn’t think they’d stand or enjoy being on the water.
Students have lost weight, increased their self-esteem, and have paddled in places and conditions they’d never imagined they’d be capable of. SUP has changed my life, so I love to share my knowledge and skills with students to help them become confident and skilled paddlers.
In 2013, I co-founded and am the former director for PSUPA (Professional Stand Up Paddle Association) which trains and certifies SUP instructors worldwide.
I also contribute paddling articles for SUP Magazine, Stand Up Journal, Canoe Kayak, the Inertia, NW Yachting and Kenmore Air’s inflight magazine.
– Rob Casey
Frequently Asked Questions
Thank-you for choosing this course!
Get in touch with me for any questions and how to progress to your next level.