Advanced SUP Skills Course
Take your SUP skills to the next level paddling further easier, learn a stable pivot/buoy turn, walking the board, downwind intro and bomber balance tips..
47% off through Sunday Nov 29th! Use code: 'BLACKFRIDAY'
Take your skills to the next level with advanced sup techniques such as the stable pivot/buoy turns, paddling in wind, a downwind intro, surfing boat wakes, walking the board and cold weather paddling.
Core Skills You'll Learn
- Pre and post paddle stretches and warm-ups by fitness trainer and paddler Joe McColskey.
- Learn a super stable buoy / pivot turn. Also called the kick back turn
- Learn how to prone paddle for up-wind conditions, cross training and if you lose your paddle.
- Intro to Downwinding and big water paddling
- Paddle efficiently and straight when sitting down and kneeling. Also essential skills for up-wind and rough water paddling.
- How to safely fall and get back on any board in any conditions including high wind.
- Get bomber stability skills for paddling in waves, boat wakes and confused water
- Learn how to go sideways, backwards and stopping, essential skills for surfing, rivers and more
- Directional control skills using sweep the cross bow and draws for minimal effort to turn quicker with less effort
- Learn a powerful and low energy forward stroke for maximum speed, more distance and less injuries
- Learn how to paddle straight which saves energy and will help you catch more waves and pass others in races
- Find out why you don't need to turn in to a boat wake and how to turn around and surf it!
Also - Review of Fundamental Skills -
Many intermediate and advanced paddlers are in a rush to hit the big water and end up skipping essential fundamental skills that can help catch more waves easier or save their life! Go back before you go further forward!
Bonus Material -
Marine Navigation for Paddlers - Learn basic navigation for planning trips and making smarter route decisions.
Communication On-Water - How to use a VHF radio and other communication methods
Cold water paddling clothing
Save a life with the Flip Rescue and Towing! Learn these essential water safety skills!
Get essential Downloads and Resources to help you plan trips, never forgot gear using check-lists and my favorite weather, wind, tide, current and ship tracking apps.
Your coach Rob Casey surfing progressive waves in Deception Pass State Park
Meet your Coach Rob Casey..
Rob surfing a freighter wave in Seattle
Non-athletic, dyslexic and lacking good instruction, like many, I struggled to stand up for the first time on a paddle board while vacation in Hawaii. Not willing to give up, I continued to work on it at home in Seattle. Applying skills learned from a decade in sea, whitewater and surf kayaking, I discovered effective methods for teaching SUP.
I'm the author of guidebooks "Stand Up Paddling Flat Water to Surf and Rivers" and "Kayaking Puget Sound and the San Juans." I also the co-founder of the Professional Stand Up Paddle Association (PSUPA) which provides worldwide SUP instructor training and certification. I've also contributed articles and photos to Stand Up Journal, SUP Magazine, the Inertia and others.
I own Seattle based Salmon Bay Paddle which offers individual and small group SUP instruction in Seattle and the surrounding region. I also teach kayaking and surf skiing.
SUP has changed my life and I love to share my passion with others helping them save time by avoiding my mistakes along the way! -- Rob Casey
Frequently Asked Questions
Thank-you for watching this course! Hopefully it was helpful to you. Feel free to send me feedback for improving the course. I'm also available for in-person instruction should you find yourself in the Pacific Northwest. - Rob Casey