VHF Radio Basics for Paddlers with Robert Nissenbaum
Everything you need to know from choosing a VHF to basic operation
Learn how to use a VHF marine radio in this 1.5hr pre-recorded webinar with your host, paddler and instructor Robert Nissenbaum. Also joining the webinar is Canadian Coast Guard Auxiliary member and Paddle Canadian instructor Adrian Lee.
- Learn about VHF radio parts (buttons), basic operation and how to choose a radio for your type of paddling, rowing etc.
- A versatile tool, find out about all the different benefits of a VHF and how each can work for you
- Find out when to use a VHF for making calls whether to check marine traffic, contact another boat or make an emergency call
– Learn how to make a call using proper radio communications lingo so your calls will be more effective
– Read about real world scenarios where VHF radios were of assistance and how they were used for paddling and marine emergencies.
– Get additional insight from Canadian Coast Guard Auxiliary member and Paddle Canada instructor Adrian Lee
– Q & A with students in the webinar and Adrian Lee.
Your host Robert Nissenbaum is an adventure seeking coastal sea kayaker, Robert has paddled much of the Puget Sound, kayaking and camping year-round, navigating tidal currents, wind, rough water, and large, open-water crossings. He is a ACA and BCU certified instructor, an instructor and trip leader with Salmon Bay Paddle, the North Sound Sea Kayaking Association and Washington Kayak Club.
Nice job on the VHF class! I learned a ton! I think this will be a great resource for those who are looking to choose a radio to use on club trips and to many of us who have radios but have had few occasions to use and learn the protocols and practices. I think your course has the added benefit of reflecting the local knowledge like the channels to use in different parts of the sound. While I’m sure your slides were great, i was able follow everything just listening to the audio while driving I think Adrian and Rob had great color commentary!
Just listened to the VHF class recording – this is excellent and full of info I needed! This was really good, especially if you’re out in the Sound and unfamiliar with proper radio use. Really appreciate the course to help keep ourselves and the community safe.Thank you!
He is a member of Qajaq USA (Greenland paddling) and holds the ACA Advanced Communications Instructor Endorsement enabling him to work with students with vision impairment or blindness, hearing impairment, deafness and speech impairments.
Robert is a Brand Amabassador for Turning Point Boatworks and the Petrel Play.
Follow Robert on IG: @robert.nissenbaum
StartIntroduction to this Course..
StartYour Host - Robert Nissenbaum
StartVHF for Paddlers Webinar - 1hr 30min (Recorded 2/16/22) (92:18)
StartWhen to Make the Call?
StartMarine VHF Radio Overview & Exercises with US Coast Guard - Video by Kayak Hipster
StartUSCG VTS User Manual 2019 Edition & Radio Channel Chart
StartPLB and VHF links
StartAdditional VHF Links..
Frequently Asked Questions
Thank-you for choosing our course!